There are several things to consider before deciding how to lay out your living room. Here are some questions to ask yourself before getting started.
• Measure your space. Before you start shopping for modern furniture or arranging your pieces, start by measuring your space. This will save you time and effort from moving furniture more than once.
• Consider the ideal walking path. If your living room also serves as an interim between other rooms in your home, make sure you arrange your furniture in a way that makes it easy to move from room to room.
• View from other rooms. If you have an open floor plan, you will want to consider that some of your living room may be visible from other rooms in the house. If you have a furniture piece that you want to draw attention to, keep this in mind and consider placing it in a location that is visible from the kitchen or entryway.
• What will your living room be used for? Do you host gatherings often? Or does your family like to eat and watch TV together in your living room? Do you use this space as a second work area? These are all things that will impact your setup. If you use your living room for eating, you will want plenty of surfaces to place food and drinks. Likewise, if it would be ideal to have a surface to set up a laptop as needed, a console bar table will be convenient.
• The amount of storage space needed. You will also want to consider the amount of storage space you will need before shopping or arranging your furniture. A TV stand or end table with ample storage will be helpful.