How to Arrange Living Room Furniture
Posted: October 20, 2022
Whether you are shopping for new living room furniture, adding a few pieces to your home, or simply rearranging what you already have, here are some helpful tips to successfully arrange your living room furniture.
TABLE OF CONTENTS>> Things to Consider Before Starting >> Good Rules of Thumb >> Featured Products
Things to Consider Before Starting
There are several things to consider before deciding how to lay out your living room. Here are some questions to ask yourself before getting started.
• Measure your space. Before you start shopping for modern furniture or arranging your pieces, start by measuring your space. This will save you time and effort from moving furniture more than once.
• Consider the ideal walking path. If your living room also serves as an interim between other rooms in your home, make sure you arrange your furniture in a way that makes it easy to move from room to room.
• View from other rooms. If you have an open floor plan, you will want to consider that some of your living room may be visible from other rooms in the house. If you have a furniture piece that you want to draw attention to, keep this in mind and consider placing it in a location that is visible from the kitchen or entryway.
• What will your living room be used for? Do you host gatherings often? Or does your family like to eat and watch TV together in your living room? Do you use this space as a second work area? These are all things that will impact your setup. If you use your living room for eating, you will want plenty of surfaces to place food and drinks. Likewise, if it would be ideal to have a surface to set up a laptop as needed, a console bar table will be convenient.
• The amount of storage space needed. You will also want to consider the amount of storage space you will need before shopping or arranging your furniture. A TV stand or end table with ample storage will be helpful.
Good Rules of Thumb
From a design standpoint, here are some good rules of thumb to follow.
• Have a focal point. Whether this is your television or a beautiful piece of artwork, arrange your furniture around the focal point of the room.
• Keep balance in mind. Having a symmetrical layout in your living room will help things feel balanced. For example, if you have a loveseat on one side of your living room, balance it out with two chairs or a bench on the opposite side of the room.
•Arrange pieces around an area rug. If your living room is oddly shaped, consider placing your furniture around a large area rug to give your room a more complete feel. Ideally, if an area rug is the center of the arrangement, you will want it to be big enough for the front legs of the furniture to rest on without the area feeling too crowded.
• Match furniture finishes. Be sure that all your wood grains or fabrics coordinate. Our selection of living room group sets will make it easy for you to find matching furniture pieces for your living room.
Whether you like to rely on the time-tested pencil and paper method, or you would prefer to use a free online tool, it is helpful to measure your living room and furniture pieces and sketch out your plan before rearranging or placing your furniture.
Lay out your room and each piece of furniture in it. Do not forget to include any end tables, floor baskets, or rugs you want to include. This will help you get a better idea of what your setup will look like and see any errors in your plan.
Shop at Silica For Your Home
Silica For Your Home has showrooms in Fond du Lac, Beaver Dam, and Watertown. Visit one of our home stores today to chat with one of our experienced team members. We have a wide selection of living room furniture to meet your needs and our team is ready to help you choose the pieces that are perfect for your home.
Be The First To Know
Sign up to get access to deals, inspiration, trends, and more!